Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Author Topic: Gesture drawing for animation
Swendly
Beginner
Post Gesture drawing for animation
on: August 5, 2016, 07:05

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some of my gesture drawings which were done as a demonstration for a tutorial. I hope you enjoy them 🙂 .

More can be seen here http://www.swendly.com/tutorials.html

Swendly
Beginner
Post Re: Gesture drawing for animation
on: August 8, 2016, 15:09

Since a lot of artists have been bringing this up about my work I decided to write some quick notes (you can visit http://www.swendly.com/tutorials.html for more):

Swendly
Beginner
on: August 28, 2016, 18:27

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 14, 2016, 15:46

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 18, 2016, 18:08

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 21, 2016, 12:57

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 24, 2016, 16:00

Some drawings from my daily sessions. For more you can visit: http://www.swendly.com/tutorials.html

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 25, 2016, 11:37

These archery poses are challenging but fun to explore. For me, the real challenge in doing gesture drawings is to not be concerned with making a good drawing. Instead, the focus should be on experiencing the flow of energy through the body and understanding how the body is functioning to perform a particular action. Why are you seeing what you’re seeing? This understanding will enable you to draw believable poses from imagination.

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 26, 2016, 12:04

Here are some more gesture drawings that I did this past week. I really enjoyed analysing these archery poses, especially the ones that I commented on. The notes are just a few of the thoughts that cross my head when I’m analysing the poses. Each pose is a whole story on itself. Observing and capturing the main events of a pose, those subtleties that make a pose interesting, is what excites me to do gesture drawings. Each drawing becomes an experience, like a roller coaster ride, leaving me in want for more once the ride ends.

Swendly
Beginner
on: November 30, 2016, 14:08

Swendly
Beginner
on: December 1, 2016, 08:57

Swendly
Beginner
on: December 2, 2016, 07:04

Swendly
Beginner
on: December 4, 2016, 18:51

To me, the goal of gesture drawing is to analyze, experience and capture the action that the figure (or any living being) is performing.

In many cases I’ve seen the goal of gesture drawing being reduced to drawing a pose fast. While practicing to capture an action in a short period of time (30 seconds, 1 minute etc.) surely has its benefits, consider that gesture drawing is defined by the intent of the drawing, not by how fast the drawing is done. I’ve encountered many artists who thought that if they were not able to nail a pose in 30 seconds, they were not good enough. In turn, this mindset also transferred to their imagination drawings, resulting and frustration. In doing character design, I invest a lot of time and thought into a character's pose. Sometimes up to an hour. The pose needs to convey character. If it doesn't, it doesn't matter how fast you drew it.

Gesture drawing should be about experiencing and understanding how the body is functioning to perform a particular action. And this simply takes time. Especially when dealing with complex poses or multiple figures, I’ve found that just spending 30 seconds or 1 minute on the drawing does not allow me to extract enough information to apply to my drawings from imagination. So my advice is to balance your gesture drawing exercises with both short (30 seconds, 1-3minutes) and long (5-10min) time intervals. The shorter time intervals should help you to see and capture the big picture while the longer intervals allow you to focus more on the nuances of an action. Again, keep in mind that the goal should be to analyze, experience and understand what is happening with the figure, not trying to copy it as fast as you can. Imbuing this experience and understanding into your own drawings is what will make them truly come alive instead of being just a bunch of lines on a surface.

Swendly
Beginner
on: December 7, 2016, 11:44

Some drawings from today's session. For more you can visit: http://www.swendly.com/tutorials.html

Swendly
Beginner
on: December 8, 2016, 20:53

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.123 seconds.